Red Beans and Rice
Growing up this was always made in a large pot with a leftover ham bone. You can use chopped up ham steaks or leftover ham. The liquid smoke provides the flavor a good smoked ham would have had.
Randy Hill, January 8, 2012
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 med Onion
- 1 Scallion
- 1/2 tsp minced Garlic
- 3/4 cup Ham
- 2 tsp Lee & Perins
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 16 oz cans Red Kidney Beans
- 1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup Smoked Sausage
- 1/2 cup rice
- Hot Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Chop onions, scallions, ham, sausage and set aside
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, med sauce pan or small dutch oven
- Add vegetables and saute until the onions are clear
- Add Ham and sausage and fry.
- Add lee & Perins and Liquid smoke.
- When vegetables are browned, add Red Beans and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, stir occasionally.
- While beans are simmering, cook rice.
- Add salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste.
- Server over rice
(c) 2015 Randy Hill