I don't ever recall eggplant being on the menu growing up, this makes a surprisingly hearty dish. The flavor comes from the sausage and black pepper and the eggplant adds body to the dish.
Inspired by a recipe in Talk About Good! published by the Junior League of Lafayette Louisiana.
- 1/2 Medium Eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 Bell Pepper
- 1/2 stalk Celery
- 1/2 tsp minced Garlic
- 1/2 Italian Sausage (2-3 oz)
- 3 oz Smoked Sausage
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- Salt and Pepper
- Chop vegetables and set aside
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic until soft, do not burn or fry them.
- Add the cubed eggplant and cook, stirring frequently until softened
- Chop the sausages and add to skillet.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, this is a peppery dish so don’t skimp on the pepper.
- After 5 minutes add the rice and water, reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is cooked about 20 minutes