A rich, spicy gumbo that has amazing depth. Inspired by the recipe in Emeril Lagasse's Lousiana Real & Rustic. This makes two helpings; unless you have seconds!
A 2 quart dutch oven is the perfect size for this and the cast iron is great for browning the chicken.
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Celery
- 2 tbsp chopped Green Onion
- 1/4 lb Andouille or smoked sausage
- 2 Chicken Thighs
- 1 tsp Emeril's Essence
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- pinch Salt
- 1/16 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup Water
- Chop vegetables and set aside
- Slice sausage and set aside.
- Heat oil in dutch oven.
- Season chicken with essence and dredge in flour.
- Brown Chicken on both sides and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp flour and cook an additional 2-3 minutes
- Add chopped onion, celery and green pepper. Cook until soft.
- Add bay leaf and garlic.
- Add broth, salt and Cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Prepare rice while gumbo is cooking.
- Gumbo should have thickened into a gravy when it is done.
- Serve over rice.