Another Slow Carb style meal, this one is a basic Spanish Fried Rice using Red Lentils instead of rice. I was pleased to find out that the red lentils responded well to being slightly fried to bring out their nutty taste.
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped Red Onion
- 1/4 tsp diced Garlic
- 1/3 cup dried Red Lentils
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp diced Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- aute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- After the onion and garlic have started to brown, add the lentils and stir until the lentils are coated with oil.
- Saute the lentils until they began to brown slightly
- Add the Cumin & Coriander and mix well. Then add the tomatoes, water and jalapeno peppers.
- Reduce heat and simmer. After about 10-15 minutes add another 1/ 4 cup water (if needed) and the cilantro.
- Simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Total cooking time should be around 25 minutes.
I added a piece of chicken, sauteed with a Chipotle Chiles en Adobo sauce. That brings the calories up to around 458 and about 16g of fat. This recipe has a glycemic load of 14