This recipe was inspired by a Vegan Indian Eggplant with Lentils dish at The Katmanduo and an Eggplant Lentil Indian Stew at Sprint 2 the Table. I used Swiss Chard instead of Spinach as that's what I had. In my first attempt I didn't get the eggplant charred, so the smokey taste I was looking for from roasting the eggplant was rather faint.
- 1 small Eggplant
- 1 tsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 medium Onion
- 1/4 tsp minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cardamon
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 cups chopped Swiss Chard
- 1/3 cup dried Lentils
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup water
- Salt & Pepper
- Warm the cast iron skillet in the oven.
- Dice the onion and saute with 1 tsp oil.
- After the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes, add the spices, stock, water and lentils. Cover and simmer on med-low heat.
- Slice the eggplant in half and place in broiler. Broil until it starts to char or until the lentils have simmered for 15 minutes.
- Chop the Swiss Chard and set aside.
- Remove any charred skin from the eggplant and chop into 1” cubes.
- Add the eggplant and Swiss Chard to the lentils and simmer until the lentils are done (approximately another 10 minutes, for a total cooking time of around 25 minutes).
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Glycemic Load: 20