This recipe has the rich roux based sauce that I remember from when I visited New Orleans. It's quick and is a fantastic southern dish.
To make this meal in 30 minutes you'll need to use a cast iron skillet. Otherwise add an additional 10-15 minutes to cook the roux.
- 1/3 cup Chopped Onions
- 1/6 cup Chopped Green Bell Peppers
- 1/6 cup Chopped Celery
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1/2 lb Shrimp
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp File Powder
- Tabasco Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- 3/4 cup Cooked Rice
- Chop Vegetables and set aside
- Start Rice.
- While rice is cooking, create a roux with the flour and butter. Brown the butter, stirring constantly until it is walnut colored, in a cast iron skille.
- Saute the vegetables until soft, do not burn or fry them.
- Add the water, shrimp, file powder and the bay leaf and cook until shrimp are done and sauce thickens.
- Add Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste while the shrimp are cooking.
- Serve over rice