Morrocan Chicken & Lentil Stew
Instead of serving a tagine chicken dish, why not try making it with Lentils? That's what I asked myself when I came up with this recipe. You can easily mix it up by using apricots or dates instead of the prunes.
Randy Hill, May 1, 2012
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 6 pitted prunes
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup lentils
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/8 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Freshly ground or coarse pepper
- Mix cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric & cinnamon together and set aside.
- Quarter and slice the onion then roughly chop prunes and set aside.
- Chop chicken into1-2 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in small wok, when hot saute the onions and garlic until the onions have softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the lentils and stir to coat well. Cook until they are slightly browned then add the chicken pieces.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until the chicken has browned.
- Add the spices and stir well to fully coat the chicken with the spices.
- Add the prunes, raisins and 1 1/4 cups water.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until lentils are cooked and sauce has thickened. Add additional water if it dries out before the lentils are cooked. Be careful not to overcook the lentils.
- Add pepper to taste while cooking.
(c) 2015 Randy Hill