I was looking to cook another lentil dish and had some leftover Kale and a bag of shrimp in the freezer and figured there must be a recipe that I can make around those three ingredients. A quick google search found a lentil stew at Spark Recipes that provided the needed inspiration.
- 1/3 cup dried Lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped Kale or Spinach
- 1/2 medium Onion
- 1/2 cup diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 15 medium Shrimp (1/4 lb)
- 1/ 8 tsp Tumeric
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
- Combine lentils and water and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking chop the Kale and Onion and set aside.
- Thaw the shrimp, remove the shells and place in a small bowl with the Tumeric, Cayenne Pepper and Coconut milk, toss to coat well and set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp oil.
- After the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes, add the kale and tomatoes and cook until wilted.
- Add the lentils which should still be soupy, 1/3 cup of water and the spices.
- Cover and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Once the lentils are done, saute the shrimp and serve.
You can use Spinach or Swiss Chard instead of the Kale.
The Glycemic Load is only 18