Chicken Cacciatore with Polenta
Another great recipe inspired by one in Essentials of Mediterranean Cooking by Williams-Sonoma.
Randy Hill, October 1, 2011
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb Boneless Chicken
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Medium onion
- 4 oz Small Portebello Mushrooms
- 1/4 Green Pepper
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/3 cup Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Diced Tomato 1/2 large tomato)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Tarragon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 tbsp Polenta
- 1 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Chop onions, green peppers and set aside.
- Cut mushrooms into quarters or eighths depending on size
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in wok, when hot brown chicken with salt & pepper.
- Remove chicken, reduce heat to medium and add onions. Add extra olive oil if needed.
- When onions are beginning to become translucent add Green Peppers, Garlic and Mushrooms. Stir often scraping chicken droppings from bottom of pan
- After a few minutes, add tomato paste and stir till it's dissolved.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- In a small saucepan boil 1 cup of water for the polento.
- Add diced tomatoes, spices along with the chicken and simmer covered.
- When water boils, whisk in 4 tbsp polenta and 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese.
- When Polenta is consistency of mashed potatoes remove from heat.
- Remove chicken from sauce (cover to keep warm) and bring sauce to a boil to thicken. Add ground pepper to taste.
- Place polenta on center of plate.
- When sauce has thickened, spoon over polenta and arrange chicken on top.
(c) 2015 Randy Hill