General Tsao’s Chicken
A classic american take on Chinese. But making it at home produces a lighter tasting meal with more vegetables.
Randy Hill, September 20, 2011
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup General Tsao Sauce
- 1/2 lb Boneless Chicken
- 1/3 green pepper (1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/3 red pepper (1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/2 large carrot (1/3 cup sliced)
- 1/2 small onion (1/2 cup chopped)
- 4 oz sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup rice
- Cook rice according to directions.
- While rice is cooking, chop peppers and onions into 1” square pieces. Slice carrots into 1/4 inch thick slices on diagonal.
- Cube boneless chicken.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil, cook 1 lb cubed boneless chicken 5 minutes or until cooked through and slightly browned. Add pepper to taste.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, stir fry peppers, carrots, onions. About 4 minutes until tender, add water chestnuts.
- Add chicken and 1/4 cup General Tsao Sauce.
- Cook until warmed through, 2-3 minutes
- Serve over rice.
(c) 2015 Randy Hill