I decided to try to make some Miso soup and of course the first thing I was missing was the Dashi Stock. Fortunately Amazon sells everything I needed. Amazon sells a product from Maine that is made in the traditional manner.
This recipe was inspired by one a found at a Japanese recipe site that has been translated to english. The original recipe was by ???? (https://en.cookpad.com/recipe/2080146)
- Wipe the Kombu with a damp cloth.
- Bring water to a simmer then add the Konbu
- Remove from heat, cover and let seep for 30 minutes
- Return to a boil, remove the Konbu and add the Bonito flakes.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes. The Bonito flakes should sink to the bottom.
- Strain through cheese cloth.
- Use immediately or refrigerate.